What is the Role of an MEP Engineer before Construction Begins
Welcome to the era of the 21st century, where there is a drastic change in the construction industry. It is a truth in which when it comes to constructing a building, there is a lot many steps and stages that need to be taken care of, and due to the adherence of the same, a strong building is getting construction. Today the article represents the roles and responsibility of an MEP engineer way before the construction of the building takes place.
Technically in the construction industry, MEP stands for "mechanical, electrical, and plumbing." services. This is a fact that the work of MEP engineering services is an ever-lasting and ever-expanding work without which the construction work is incomplete. This is why MEP services play an essential function in the construction sector. Without taking assistance of an MEP service provider, the entire project is being held on hold. This is why for the ultimate success of the project, MEP engineers play a critical role.
The very first, as well as a core responsibility of an MEP engineer, is to make sure that a proper MEP system and a planner of the building is created. It is the foremost duty of an MEP engineer to make sure that they incorporate the overall method of the project. This method of trade includes peculiar outlining, designing, drafting, and managing of MEP systems.
It is that when in the construction project the integration of MEP services takes place, the core responsibility of the engineer is to make sure that their input is been given where the three different fields, design, and implementation work is being overlapped.
If in one word we need to describe what MEP systems are all about, then it can be said like that; for every building's construction MEP systems plays a role of its "central nervous system". By saying this, what more needs to be communicated is the work that makes it more sensible and the structure that is being fitted to and for the modern world, considering its comfort stage too.
Now taking a second thought, this is also the biggest truth in which without seeking help and assistance of an MEP service provider the building that is undergoing its construction will be of no use, and also it can be unlivable. Not only this, but it can also have another lacking and that is the modern amenities with a controlled climate.
Now proceeding further, let us see why there is a need to have an MEP Engineering Service and MEP engineer prior to the construction process takes place. The modern and fundamental requirement of every construction project is to have accurate mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. This is why there is an option available in the market where with all efforts the stakeholder of the project can hire an experienced MEP engineer or an MEP advisor who can indeed make a huge difference to meet the overall expectations of the project with regards to value and time both.
Having said this, below mentioned is the list of the work and criteria of the work to help meet the necessary quality of the work when related to the MEP Project.
A must needed duties to be performed by an MEP engineer
- HVAC Expert
- Electrical Power And Lighting
- Fire Alarm Expertise
- Energy Management
- Attention To Details
- Responsive In Nature
Essential Roles and Duties of an MEP Engineer
Let us now review and know what is the significant characters and abilities of an MEP engineer for pre and post-construction work.
- The core responsibility of an MEP engineer is to analyze and evaluate the complete plans and specifications based on the desired plan.
- For project-related work, it is the MEP engineer who has to make sure that he manages the overall work. Also, as and when it is required the team of staff can contact architects and engineers.
- It is the MEP engineer who needs to prepare the overall list of the work that comes under his KRA. The set of work is cost estimation of the HVAC system along with the general piping system.
- All necessary and project-related advice needs to be given to the respective personnel who are associated with the project. This entire set of information that is being delivered to the respective work is by the people who are a part of the project.
- Need to provide solutions post analyzing the overall MEP engineering problems.
- MEP Engineer has to understand barriers in plan, strategy, control, and perform various projects and surveys on the same to get it resolved.
- It is a must that an MEP engineer has to have knowledge of basic software like MS Office, AutoCAD, and Project management software.
- MEP engineer has to make sure that the work is executed as per the plan and along with that to evaluate and examine the work of people like consultants, contractors, and other members who are in either way associated or part of the project.
- As and when required the MEP engineer or an MEP engineering firm has to prepare, create and give a detailed presentation of its work as per the requirements.
- Sharing proper advice to the project director related to any technical aspects of mechanical services. This can be one of the reasons that may affect the construction progress and thus it needs to be resolved asap.
- Regularly reviewing the scheduled set of work that is from its start to its end and this is related to the work related to the MEP services.
- Any kind of changes that needs to consider, must be reported to the project director at the same time and taken steps accordingly so that there should not be any delay at the time of physical construction of the project.
- Managing day-to-day work with the respective team of MEP service provider.
- All required set of document work needs to be taken care of. Also, with this, the MEP engineer needs to make sure that they keep regular monitoring of the work.
- Maintain and adhere to obtain the LEED standard for the project that is the base for the project.
- Delivering a proper set of advice to the issues related to LEED and also that providing required solutions with information and appropriate documentation.
- Actively taking part in the risk workshops and pointing out a report that shares the information if any risk is associated with the installation of MEP.
- Evaluating the methods that are undertaken by the contractors' statement that shows the installation method.
- A detailed review of the shop drawings against the design and drafting of the tender drawings.
- To make sure that the designs are being developed with the compliance of required software and necessary international standards.
- A comprehensive analysis of all shop drawings that are being served by the contractors. It is with regards to the MEP shop drawings, structural shop drawings, electrical shop drawings, and BIM shop drawings.
- Always be prepared with the clarifications and explanations as and when required for the betterment of the project work that suits specific on-site construction and co-ordination issues.
- Reviewing and sharing details on the contractor’s MEP work and putting efforts to get approval for the said set of work.
- Undertaking the responsibility of reviewing the project and giving updates on the necessary changes that are required so as to get the smooth results of the project.
- Analysis and remark on the Contractor’s Performance and Maintenance manuals.
- Manage an on-going list of engineering services deficiencies for the contractor’s remedial response.
- Providing guidance and reporting of the work that is required for the project work.
Apart from the above shared detailed roles and responsibilities of an MEP engineer they need to consider the below-mentioned set of work too. So, do consider having look onto the same.
- High-end HVAC systems
- Accurate design and drafting of electrical and lighting systems
- Reliable plumbing solutions
- Energy maintenance and performance
- Better fire protection and alarms
- Building mechanization
- Durable and secure building for long-term value
- Water storage
- Optimize resources and operational methods
Upon reading this article this is clear that why there is a need to have an MEP Engineering Company and an experienced MEP engineer. Silicon Engineering Consultants Pvt. Ltd is the foremost MEP service provider that assists its clients globally with regard to their MEP work.
Connect with the team of expert MEP consultants today and get your project designed and drafted with the best company and team of engineers.